Never really been a major Avatar fan like my wife is, i was surprised at how easily i was able to enjoy its sequel, The Legend of Korra. Although the first season was only twelve episodes, i was engrossed the entire time. I think I might just judge a series prematurely depending on how many episodes are in a season. Is it just me or are series that have fewer episodes considerably better (Excluding Supernatural) than the standard series which usually has between twenty two and twenty four episodes?
I’m still not a huge fan of the Avatar series but i honestly enjoy this Avatar version compared to Angs. (Que hate mail now) Ironically my wife prefers the Ang series.
So lets see if i can write an ongoing review.
The premier of this new season wasn’t by any stretch bad, i just found it a little boring but i guess that’s what a pilot episode is there for, to introduce new worlds, new characters, and to start setting things up for further episodes down the line. It was interesting to see what the characters had been up to since we last saw them but it was hardly inspiring. Korra had “mastered” air bending according to her but not according to Tanzin. Typical power play at work between Korra being frustrated and feeling that Tanzin is holding her back. Speaking of power play’s, when Korra’s uncle comes into the mix, that’s where i started to pay attention. You see, the setup in this episode is that the spirits are pissed, and are attacking innocent people and the Avatar is supposed to stop them, or harmonize with them….something like that.
Anyway, Korra’s uncle can (I’m just going to call it “spirit bend“), spirit bend which calms the attacking spirits down and then the spirits pass back to their realm. Avatar Korra however, cannot spirit bend, but with her uncles guidance she can be taught. It becomes a bit of a thing between Tanzin, his brother and Korra about what the Avatar learns and who teaches it. Ultimately a decision gets made that isn’t obviously black or white but is definitely a big setup for future episodes.
All in all, not bad, but it could be better. It’s a good introduction to the second season and i hope to see more of what the first season offered.
What are your predictions on this season? Let us know in the comments below!
- Day 64. I love Korra! (laurencarr.wordpress.com)
- Season 2 of ‘The Legend of Korra’ Begins (webpronews.com)
- Animation Monday: The Legend of Korra Book 2 Premiere Review (geekalabama.com)
- Return of the Avatar from From the Sorcerer’s Skull (sorcerersskull.blogspot.com)
- Legend Of Korra Book 2: Spirits Chapter 1- Rebel Spirits (andrewfist002.wordpress.com)
- TV Recap: The Legend of Korra, Book 2 Premiere (pop-break.com)
- ‘Legend of Korra’ creators, star talk about show’s Eastern morality (herocomplex.latimes.com)
- Legend of Korra Weekly Review – Rebel Spirit/The Southern Lights (atthebuzzershow.com)
- Avatar: The Legend of Korra Season 2 (kirltalks.wordpress.com)
- Discussion Post: The Legend of Korra (pagesunbound.wordpress.com)