The First game I ever played on Play Station was the Demo for Abe‘s Oddysee. It was the first game that introduced me to the platforming genre and it’s the one game that I haven’t thought about until now.
You play as Abe, a Mudokon from Oddworld who is born into captivity as the rest of the Mudokons are and works as a floor-waxer at Rupture Farms as a low level employee but is one of the best workers there having won employee of the month. Rupture farms makes the best meals on the planet. Their top sellers are Scrab Cakes, Paramite Pies and Meech Munchies. However Rupture Farm’s ingredients are running out, one of them already extinct. Abe works late one night and notices that shareholders and the owner of Rupture Farms are having a meeting about what to do about their products running dry. Molluck the Glukkon who practically owns the Mudokon civilization and Rupture Farms has a “New ‘n Tasty” idea that will drive the companies profits back up. The next big meal, Mudokon Pops. Abe is horrified at hearing this and makes a desperate attempt to escape the factory and vows to find a way to save his fellow Mudokons before they are tossed in the meat grinder.
Abe’s Oddysee was released in 1997 and still after playing the original again the other day I have to say this is still a beautiful game, right from the art decor right through to the character design. Sure it looks dated now but it is still a lot of fun. The puzzles are challenging, the game play is perfect, the communication between Abe and other Mudokon’s always makes me laugh. Possessing Sligs is a hoot especially when you’re done with them and you watch them explode into chunky pieces.
The only thing that i can fault this game on is the checkpoint system meaning that if you die and you’ve just gotten past a particularly difficult puzzle or obstacle you might have to do it again. But besides that, what a fantastic game to play.
For those of you who haven’t played this game worry not, if you own a PS3, log onto the Playstation store and browse the classic games for the PS1. You can buy Abe’s Oddysee and Abe’s Exodus for only R45-00 each. To the PC owners, you will probably just download it from Piratebay.
However if you would like to own a physical copy of the game have patience. UK studio Just Add Water is remaking Abe’s Oddysee for current generation consoles and will be available in autumn 2013 for PC, Xbox, PS3 and PS Vita.
Having played the original and then watching the footage from the HD remake, at this point i prefer the original.
Just a few points on why I prefer the original:
- Sligs blow up into chunky meaty pieces when you’re done controlling them
- When Mudokons or Sligs fall to their death you hear an echo of their scream and the whole screen shakes when they hit the ground
- Bird portals looked way better in the original
- Sounds are much better in the original
Why I like the HD Remake:
- It’s HD
- I like some of the modern elements like the elevators
- Characters and animation is much more detailed
Keep in mind though, the HD footage is in a Pre-alpha phase so some of these issues may be addressed before release.
Watch both Videos of original Abe and New Abe and let me know what you think.
- Oddworld Inhabitants (en.wikipedia.org)
- ‘Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD’ coming to PSN this month (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD now available on PSN for $9.99, coming to PS Vita ‘early next year’ (polygon.com)
- Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD coming in ‘late December’ to North American PS3s (polygon.com)
- “Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD” Now Available on PlayStation Network (complex.com)
- Oddworld devs poll fans about next game (polygon.com)
- Oddworld dev asks which game you want next (joystiq.com)
- Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Review (godisageek.com)
- Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD and Munch’s Oddysee HD releasing next week (vg247.com)