From what I read Universal and Sony were competing over Assassins Creed, and Sony beat Universal out BUT in order for this film to be made, part of the deal was that Ubisoft has to pretty much have complete control over the entire production process. THE ENTIRE PRODUCTION PROCESS.
That means they choose the Director, Producers, Actors, Locations, Stories and most likely what kind of food gets served on the set AND IF THEY DON’T LIKE THE FILM..THEY CAN SCRAP IT! Never before has a studio relinquished such control over a movie. Ubisoft will also fund part of the project and it turns out that they have been itching to do this for a while now. I also read that Sony has claims on making Infamous and Uncharted movies.
A few Hollywood spectators are also quiet pissed off though that Ubisoft gets so much control.
Read this quote:
“To make the deal, Sony had to grant the gaming company approval over just about everything – budget, principal cast, script, release date – and Hollywood spectators are flabbergasted. Notes one incredulous insider, “As a director, even Steven Spielberg cannot get this kind of deal.” And yet it’s this very overarching power that may doom the project, as it has other gigantic video game movies. Notes one Hollywood talent agent who represents a smaller video game publisher, “The whole Ubisoft/Sony deal is a waste of ink, paper and time. The level of control Sony gave up means, effectively, that Assassin’s Creed will never — and I mean never — get made.”
I honestly have no favorite game to movie adaption. I really enjoyed the Resident Evil films and Doom but they lacked that spark that the games gave you. The one movie that came close though in my opinion was Prince of Persia. I really enjoyed that film and i thought they captured the gaming side quiet well. It was a complete 360 on the story but they had the elements there.
As you guys know I am a huge fan of Assassins Creed (HUGE MIGHT BE AN UNDER STATEMENT). I eat, sleep, drink, work, and go to the bathroom with Assassins Creed. So as one of those nerdy fans I love the fact that Ubisoft is standing their ground. They obviously care about this franchise and i don’t think you’re going to find a fan anywhere that thinks that Ubisoft is wrong in their decision.
I think Ubisoft should do what they need to do. Let Jesper Kyd “the guy who did the score for AC:Revelations” and Hans Zimmer do the score for the movie and let Jerry Bruckheimer produce it. What better company to do Assassins Creed than Bruckheimer films? Bruckheimer films has already done all the Pirates films, Prince of Persia, National Treasure, Pearl Harbour and The Rock, just to name a few. Check his name on Wiki and you will see how many awesome films there are.
I think they should put this on a bright green lit go and let Ubisoft do their thing.
Thank you so much to The Escapist and Vulture for the information 🙂
- Report: Assassin’s Creed Gets a Movie Deal That Even Spielberg Couldn’t [Assassin’s Creed] (kotaku.com)
- ASSASSIN’S CREED Deal Terms May Neutralize the Project (collider.com)
- Assassin’s Creed: Warrior Concerto (gamerstherapy.wordpress.com)
- Ubisoft Found A Writer For That ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Movie (multiplayerblog.mtv.com)
- Ubisoft goes Shakespearean with writer on the Assassin’s Creed movie (digitaltrends.com)
- ASSASSINS CREED Movie Has A Screenwriter (geektyrant.com)
- Ubisoft’s ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Adaptation Hires Playwright Michael Lesslie (slashfilm.com)
- Assassins Creed Movie Gets a Writer, Michael Fassbender to Star (godisageek.com)
- “Why Video Game Companies Are Taking More Control Over Their Movies” (gointothestory.blcklst.com)
- ‘Assassin’s Creed 4’ quiet, ‘Assassin’s Creed’ movie receives writer (Photos) (examiner.com)